A Short Test Flight for a German Rocket in Norway

Image (Credit): The launch of the Spectrum rocket from Andøya, Norway where Isar Aerospace has its own launch pad. ( Isar Aerospace)

Elon Musk is not the only one losing rockets these days. Yesterday the German firm Isar Aerospace launched its Spectrum rocket from a spaceport in northern Norway, but the mission ended in less than a minute.

Pointing out that Isar Aerospace is the first European commercial space company to launch an orbital rocket from Continental Europe, a company press release also cited the company’s CEO and co-founder Daniel Metzler, who stated:

Our first test flight met all our expectations, achieving a great success. We had a clean liftoff, 30 seconds of flight and even got to validate our Flight Termination System. We demonstrated that we can not only design and build but also launch rockets. I could not be prouder of our entire team for working so hard over the past seven years to reach this important milestone. Today, we laid the foundation to cater to the rising global demand for flexible satellite launch services. Now it’s time to analyze all data, learn, iterate and be back on the launch pad as soon as possible.

Like the U.S., Europe has a number of rocket start-ups that should eventually offer alternatives for future European space missions and commercial businesses. In this vein, the same press release had a hopeful message:

As a company with European roots, we are proud to have shown that Europe has an enduring capacity for bold thinking and grand achievements. We have all resources to create globally competitive technology leaders. With our services, we will be able to serve customers from around the world to bring their satellites into space and to help Europe solve a major blind spot in its security architecture: access to space.

The company is already making more rockets, allowing it build upon what was learned from this test flight.

Space Stories: Cygnus Spacecraft Damaged, AI & Astronomy, and Toxic Martian Dust

Image (Credit): The Cygnus cargo shit at the International Space Station. (Northrup Grumman)

Here are some recent stories of interest.

Ars Technica: After a Spacecraft was Damaged en route to Launch, NASA Says it Won’t Launch

Three weeks ago, NASA revealed that a shipping container protecting a Cygnus spacecraft sustained “damage” while traveling to the launch site in Florida. Built by Northrop Grumman, Cygnus is one of two Western spacecraft currently capable of delivering food, water, experiments, and other supplies to the International Space Station. This particular Cygnus mission, NG-22, had been scheduled for June. As part of its statement in early March, the space agency said it was evaluating the NG-22 Cygnus cargo supply mission along with Northrop.

Intelligent Computing: AI Reshapes How We Observe the Stars

AI tools are transforming how we observe the world around us—and even the stars beyond. Recently, an international team proved that deep learning techniques and large language models can help astronomers classify stars with high accuracy and efficiency. Their study, “Deep Learning and Methods Based on Large Language Models Applied to Stellar Light Curve Classification,” was published Feb. 26 in Intelligent Computing.

CNN: Toxic Dust on Mars Would Present Serious Hazard for Astronauts

Toxic dust on Mars would make a future mission to the red planet extremely hazardous for astronauts and require significant countermeasures, new research suggests. Substances such as silica, gypsum, perchlorates and nanophase iron oxides contained in Martian dust could have life-threatening effects on members of a potential Mars mission, according to a study published in the journal GeoHealth last month.

What’s Next for Boeing’s Starliner?

Image (Credit): NASA’s Crew-9 prior to departing the ISS earlier this week. Top left, NASA astronauts Suni Williams and Butch Wilmore, followed by bottom left, Roscosmos cosmonaut Aleksandr Gorbunov and NASA astronaut Nick Hague. (NASA)

With the first Boeing Starliner crew now back on Earth after an extended stay on the International Space Station (ISS), it is time to ask whether there will be a third Starliner attempt.

According to Reuters, NASA is currently considering a third uncrewed attempt. Steve Stich, chief of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, stated the following yesterday:

We’re … looking at some options for Starliner, should we need to, of flying it uncrewed…When we look forward, what we’d like to do is that one flight, and then get into a crew rotation flight.

That sounds like a safe bet to convince everyone that the Starliner is ready, even though it did return to Earth safely while the crew remained on the ISS.

Boeing has both the ISS and future space missions to consider. Walking away now would abandon the field to SpaceX just as private sector space stations are the hot topic.

Regardless of all the chaos on Earth right now regarding the future of NASA, it is still a safe bet that the U.S. will continue to build a space industry in need of reliable partners to bring cargo and crew into Low Earth Orbit and beyond.

Blue Ghost: Mission Accomplished

Image (Credit): Blue Ghost’s shadow on the lunar surface with the Earth on the horizon.(Firefly Aerospace)

NASA and Firefly Aerospace plan to have a news conference tomorrow at 2pm to discuss the end of the Blue Ghost mission on the Moon. The lunar lander set down on March 2. It began its mission immediately, knowing the disappearance of the Sun on March 16 would mark the end its work.

Those speaking at tomorrow’s news conference are:

  • Joel Kearns, deputy associate administrator for exploration, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters in Washington;
  • Jason Kim, CEO, Firefly Aerospace;
  • Ray Allensworth, spacecraft program director, Firefly; and
  • Adam Schlesinger, Commercial Lunar Payload Services project manager, NASA Johnson.

In a press release earlier today, Firefly stated:

Firefly Aerospace…today announced it met 100 percent of its mission objectives for Blue Ghost Mission 1 after performing the first fully successful commercial Moon landing on March 2, completing more than 14 days of surface operations (346 hours of daylight), and operating just over 5 hours into the lunar night with the final data received around 6:15 pm CDT on March 16. This achievement marks the longest commercial operations on the Moon to date.

After a number of issues with the first commercial missions, this is very good news.

A Different Take on the Lunar Eclipse

Image (Credit): The March 14, 2025 total lunar eclipse as seen from the Moon’s surface thanks to Firefly’s Blue Ghost Mission 1 lunar lander. (Firefly Aerospace)

If you were lucky enough to capture the total lunar eclipse last Friday, you are lucky. However, the image above shows a very different view of the event from an even luckier little craft on the Moon’s surface. That’s right, Firefly’s Blue Ghost lunar lander took a moment away from its work to snap this amazing image of a solar eclipse caused by the Earth blocking to Sun’s light.

The future should bring more craft and even humans to the lunar surface, which will provide many more amazing images of our floating blue marble.